So for those of you who don’t know, my favorite guys New Kids on the Block, are holding what they call “Town Hall meetings” this weekend. According to nkotb.com, the meetings will be “where the Block Nation and members of NKOTB will join together to participate in an exclusive Town Hall forum to help plan future NKOTB events.” O M G!! Unfortunately, my Block Nation membership expired and due to all of our moving expenses I didn’t have the extra cash to cover the renewal so my membership lapsed so I couldn’t sign up to win entry myself. I reached out to a couple of my very good friends, “Let’s Get This” Va Beach members, and because I have awesome friends, I get to go along with one of them to the Town Hall meeting in Philly. Yay!! I’m so excited to be a part of it because I think it’s a fantastic idea to involve the fans in this way. I saw a lot of negativity about it on Twitter so I didn’t voice my opinion. I’ve also always been very shy and quiet so I’m still hesitant to voice my opinion. However, this could be a great way for me to face my fear of public speaking and let my voice be heard, literally and figuritively. I don’t know what the format will be, if it will include speaking in front of everyone to voice our opinions but it sounds that way. I have a list of points/ideas I’d like to make. Now if I just have the guts to get up in front of a room of fans (and actual New Kids!!) and speak my mind….
Here is my list. I’m open to any & all suggestions, although I can’t promise I will actually get up and say anything. But the intent is there, at least. 😉
1) As Block Nation members, we now accumulate points, presumably to cash in for rewards. These rewards cost thousands of points yet most members only have a few hundred. I know there are a few who have managed to accumulate enough points to cash in for an awesome prize, like a meet & greet with the guys. But most of us haven’t been blogging on the site or participating much because quite frankly there wasn’t much incentive to. Now that this points system is in place, there is more of an incentive. But my idea is that we have more opportunities for earning points. One idea I had was that when NKOTB posts something on nkotb.com, members can get points if we share it via Twitter, Facebook, Google +, etc. Because if we share it, then we’re helping to spread the word and therefore, as members shouldn’t we be rewarded for it?
2) Another points-related idea: More points for blogs, adding friends. As it stands, last I checked, you got 100 points for having 50 friends and that was it. Shouldn’t there be 100 more points or 150 even for adding 50 more friends? Wouldn’t this encourage us to be more social on the site? As for the blogs, as a writer, it was kinda insulting that people would blog a sentence or 2 and get the same amount of points I did for a blog in which I poured my heart out. Perhaps points could be rewarded based on length? Not sure how that would play out but I’m just throwing out ideas here.
3) More contests, perhaps in which we worked with other members. Group prizes? This could be a way to work on building friendships, like team-building exercises. Don’t really have any specific ideas. Again, we just need more incentive to want to be a part of Block Nation. A lot of fans are opposed because of the price of membership. They don’t feel they should have to pay for it.
4) I have a friend via Twitter (@Moonlitcatz) who is deaf and has suggested all DVDs include subtitles and all CDs include lyrics, including raps and details. While we’re at it, how bout a new DVD including footage from the classic moments like Radio City Music Hall, Fenway and the NKOTBSB tour?
5) Another friend (@Madame_Royale) has requested a European cruise. I think this is something many international fans would like to see happen! Of course I’m a selfish American and want to keep the Carribean cruise but I can’t deny a Mediterranean cruise would be epic.
6) Is it too much to ask for a song or two from Face the Music? Suggestions: You Got the Flavor, DIRTY DAWG, Keep On Smilin’, and my personal favorite, Mrs. Right. 😉 ooooh or Keepin’ My Fingers Crossed so we could hear that beautiful harmony again.
7) More grown-up merchandise. I know other fans will probably bring this up. While it’s cool to get stuff for my 5 and 11-year-old daughters, my 14-year-old son would also like stuff he can wear with pride. He’s a Donnie girl. And he hates when I say that. While we’re at it, 30-something me would really like something I can wear without feeling like I’m trying to recapture my high school years. 😀
8) MORE EVENTS IN DIFFERENT REGIONS!! Namely the South and the West Coast. While obviously, I’m willing to go anywhere, there are many who can’t or aren’t willing to travel. I understand there could be many different reasons for the Northeast getting the majority of shows/events. I’m fine with it because I love NYC, I love that I’ll get a chance to see Philadelphia, but it would also be nice to not have to drive 6+ hours to see my favorite guys.
9) NEW MUSIC!!!! While I think/hope this is already happening, it also bears repeating that the fans are chomping at the bit for new music. I understand why it’s taken so long w/ the solo projects (which I also love – I want more Joe Shows!!) and The Block was so phenomenally awesome it’s going to be hard to top. But Block Nation wants and needs new music, period. Please make it happen.
I think that’s it. If I could articulate these things out loud, we’d have no problem! Can I just read my blog? Ha ha! Any suggestions/ideas/comments, Blockheads? And yes, I plan to blog about what happens at the actual meeting 🙂 As always, thanks for reading!